Friday, July 31, 2009

How do you do your replacement water for tropical freshwater?

I used to go to my aquarium store down the street and fill up my 2 five gallon jugs, then I would add 1 tbs of salt and and the required Novaqua (I use that as my "Stress Coat", anything better?). But now that it has closed down (I'm sad) I fill the jugs with my home drinking water tap (the Novaqua serves as a water conditioner) and still add salt and Nov. I would go to my other pet store but it's all the way on the other side of town. Do some people add the required salt to their aquarium directly after a water change?

Responses?
Answers:
Waste of money if you have to buy fish water for your tank, tap water is just fine.

I always dissolve my salt in a small amount of water before I add it to the tank.
For fresh water, I use the regular house water. I only change about 20% at a time. I use a product called EasyBalance to remove chlorine. After the new water is in, I add some salt and stree coat to the tank directly. I used to have a salt water tank and to top off you use FRESH water, for that I used to buy gallons at the local supermarket. Look around for water filtrated via reverse osmosis. I would pay about $1/gal.
I dont think you really need the salt because it doenst really do anything as far as I know. I would just use the NovAqua for water conditioning.
use the tap water with the other additives.2 five gallon jugs...if you have a 10 gallon tank,don't change ALL the water in the tank at once..just do 10 to 20 percent at a time

No comments:

Post a Comment