Thursday, July 30, 2009

How do I get rid of my suckerfishes worms??

My suckerfish has these huge worms that come out of him and get stuck on everything in my tank. I'm afraid that they are going to infect my other fish even though I think they already have worms coming out of them too!! It is the craziest thing you have ever seen!!! How do I keep them from getting these?? Thanks for help!!!
Answers:
I believe that what you're seeing is their "poop". In plecos, this is long and stringy (the color is based on what you feed them, but is usually brown/tan). If these are actual worms, they'd move. The poop just stays in place unless the filter is moving it around.

It sounds as if your fish might be a bit constipated if there's that much and you're seeing it in other fish. If you feed your fish dry food (flakes or pellets) try soaking them in some tank water first. It also helps if you give the some fresh greens for some fiber in their diets. Most fish will eat cooked peas with the skin removed, zucchini, cucumber, romaine lettuce, spinach, collard greens, oranges, shredded carrots, and others. It help them if you cook these for a few minutes or freeze them a while first to make the softer.
There are few type of worms infestation such as cestodes (like the tapeworm human gets), nematodes (roundworm) and acanthocephalans (spiny head worms).

Unfortunately I do not hold the experience and knowledge to help you with worm infestation.

You can use this names to search the web and identify the correct infestation you have a (through images available) and the correct medication treatment for each.

Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment