Thursday, July 30, 2009

How do I care for tadpoles?

Hello. My husband and I and our two sons received some tadpoles from a friend. This person was not feeding them and kept them in a coffee can. There are 2 and they are large. (back legs starting only) I bought large 29 gallon tank, secure lid, round and not sharp fish rocks, a few fake plants, dechlorination drops for the water and fish food to feed them. Can you tell me how else I could make their little lives better? What else do they need or could benefit them? I am a big believer in leaving wild animals alone, but since they are already captured and not in very good shape, I will not just release them in a stream to die. Please let me know. Please no answers about frying them, toilets, etc. Thanks for your time.
Answers:
As long as they're still in the aquatic stage, they need vegetation to eat. Either algae, algae or other plant-based animal food pellets, or boiled veggies (lettuce, spinach, zucchini). Keep the water level fairly low.

As the front legs develop, they'll need to be able to get out onto land - even if it's just a rock that sits above the wate level. At this point, they'll be insect eaters. I've used small crickets from the pet store as feeder with larger frog species with good success.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1995/07/06.
Go to petco.com and in the search box type "Caresheet" and in the list of animals should be tadpole.
http://www.fdrproject.org/pages/potads.h...
keep doin what you are and you should have
frogs in no time
feed them low protein fish food, and make sure they have land when their gills disappear. then have with frogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment