Thursday, July 30, 2009

How do I disinfect my live plants?

I am going to be upgrading to a larger aquarium and I want to keep some of the live plants I have and transfer them. The fish I had in the old aquarium was sick, how do I disinfect the plants so I don't transfer the bacteria without killing them?
Answers:
You have to wash them with warm water first, and then wash again with Potassium Permanganate solution, 1 part in 10 part water. Then you can directly place it back on your tank.
The cheapest method would be either ...

1. Ten minute soak in Potassium permangenate.

2. Soak in 1 part household bleach 10 part water. For one or two mintues.

For both remember to rinse very very well. I would usually soak them in fresh water for 1/2 an hour even after rinsing before putting them in the tank. This is not only good for plants the latter is also good for decor and plastic filter parts after a serious disease outbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment