Friday, July 31, 2009

How do I keep birds out of my coi pond?

I have had just about every bird imaginable in my coi pond. At first I enjoyed having them around until I noticed they were eating my fish. I had several hundred fish to begin with now I am down to less than 100. I even have a crane that stops by and I don't even live around a lake/pond! I have tried the fake owls and snakes, they don't work. I'm looking for a way to keep them out of my pond, with harming them!
Answers:
It's not pretty, but if you can stand it for a while try some chicken wire. Lay it out supported a few inches off the ground. Surround you pond everywhere you can with a row starting about 2 feet from the waters edge and extending out over the water for at least a foot. Larger birds capable of eating your fish don't usually like to walk on the wire and can't easily fish through it where it's over the water. After about a month most will have found a new source of food and will not be visiting your pond and you can remove the wire.

MM
Your supposed to put a wire mesh over the water. There are professionally made ones that look pretty on line, but they aren't cheap. Otherwise you can just buy 2x4's and chicken wire and make your own. By the way, it's "koi". Just google "koi care".
A square crow? lol, Try that and if that doesnt work , Dont you get a cover for a pond? Like meshing or somthing? Get mesh and cover the pond, It may not look nice but ur fish wont get eaten, Good luck
Like the people before me answered - wire mesh over the top of the water is the best solution for this problem. People have also had success with trees overhanging the pond, such as willow trees to provide cover and keep your pond fish from looking so tasty to birds passing by. Shelves built into the pond under the waterline for fish to hide under is also a common remedy, but if usually don't while the pond is initially built. The wire mesh would be your most immediate defence, and the trees a more long term, eye-pleasing solution.
put a net pond u can buy it from any pet store pond store

No comments:

Post a Comment