Monday, May 24, 2010

How many gallons for every inch of goldfish?

I have a 29 gallon fish tank. I have 7 comets/commons, the longest being 3 inches, the others are around 2 inches. I have an AquaClear 150 filter, with 3 airstones with air bubbles that break the surface, I clean out the tank weekly. So, is this tank extremely crowded? Will they become stunted ( If they aren't already)
Answers:
10 gallons per goldfish with extra filtration. So a 70 gallon tank with a 25% weekly water change and a filter (not undergravel) meant for at least a 90 gallon tank. The common comet gets up to 12 inches and can live 20 - 30 years if taken care of properly.

BTW - the 1" fish per gallon is a rule of thumb that was tossed out the window years ago. Logically, although you could keep 5 - 2" neons in a 10 gallon tank..you OBVIOUSLY couldn't keep a 10" oscar in a 10 gallon tank.
Besides space, there's bioload to be concerned about and that is the biggest issue with goldfish. They put out a HUGE amount of ammonia per fish and there just isn't enough water to displace it unless you're using a large tank with extra filtration. Goldfish, cichlids and plecos put out a vast amount of ammonia which is toxic to fish, burning their scales, fins, eyes and worst of all...gills.
maybe you should stick to 7 smaller fishes because fish need all the space they can get
the rule is one inch of fish per one gallon of tank you have 29 gallons and seven fish
six of the fish are two inches so that is 12 inches
plus the three inch fish which makes it 15 inches of fish total in your tank
if you have a 29 gallon tank and only 15 inches worth of fish in your tank then I'd say you are not only safe but your fish have some growing room
congrats
------------------------------...
dude, I'm sorry; listen to Barb she sounds like she really knows what she's saying and I think I may have misunderstood the type of goldfish you have (the type I had were full grown at three to four inches each is what my pet store told me when I had some-but I must have had a very different kind)...go with someone who knows what they are talking about-don't listen to me on this one: I admit I was wrong, and I'm sorry~soooo soooo sooo very sorry
3x7 is 21 inches for a 29 gallon tank. With the oversized filter and excellent aeration, I'd say you could add about 2-3 more small goldfish in there.

~ZTM
Don't listen to independent. If you use the one inch rule, it applies to the GROWN fish, not their current size, unless you are only keeping fish for the day. It does sound a little crowded, I have never kept comets, but that even sounds crowded for fancy goldfish. I would keep doing cleanings and maybe invest in a second 29 gallon or a larger tank or pond? You can also donate some fish to a store if you are concerned
Every inch of goldfish needs 2 gallons!
U have a crisis coming!
right now you are ok-one inch per gallon-the problem is that the bigger the tank the bigger the gold fish will grow-if you keep a gold fish in a little bowl=1/2 gallon-and change the water every 2 days-it will be fine-I kept one a feeder fish about 1 inch when i got it and it grew to about 2 inches, I kept it for months than gave it to my bank teller for her kids theirs had died -with directions not to overfeed and changing the water and its still doing great. I gave it a unique name 'dove' cause i went to buy a dove and they didnt have any LOL.

2 gold fish would cloud the water with its urine and cause problems

you have good filtration-but by the size of your tank I would estimate your gold fish will grow to about 5" let lose in a pond and they will survive even if it freezes-they will grow to over a foot long. Yet, fan tails dont get as big as the comets/commons called coi in natural habitat they do grow!
7X5=35 gallons---you will barely be ok-you shouldnt buy any more fish till you see if they exceed 4 inches 7X4=28

and remember I dont need the points, yet Jesus needs us to be fishers of men" the bible, in His amazing grace, David

No comments:

Post a Comment