Sunday, August 2, 2009

How long before I see results from treating Velvet?

I just started treating my newest betta for Velvet about 4 days ago. His breathing is better and his pectoral fins are starting to open again. Problem is he still doesn't seem to be eating and the rest of his fins are still really stiff and clamped. Anyone have any experience with treating this disease?
Answers:
I've just finished treating one of my own bettas (a new purchase, the velvet showed up 3 days after I got him). Usually, the treatment is effective in 2 weeks, but his took closer to 3 to rid him of all the spots.

If you raise the temperature (85o) and turn off any lights directly over the tank (Piscinoodinium is a photosynthetic dinoflagellate), this seems to help in the recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment