Sunday, August 2, 2009

How do you get rid of that brown fungus that spreads on my fish tank?


Answers:
You are probably seeing brown algae and it's fairly easy to control, but practically impossible to eliminate from a tank. To control it, keep the lighting to abut 8 hours a day and be sure to do very through gravel cleanings and you do your weekly water changes. A gravel vacuum siphon is the best tool for doing this quickly and easily. Just change 25-30% of the water weekly, take care not to over feed the fish and keep the lighting down and in short order you will see a huge difference in the amount of brown algae in the tank.

MM
You have to take out your fish and put them into a bowl of water, and clean the whole entire fish tank. And if you were to do it, I'd advice you to clean everything, from the bubble making thing, the plants, the rocks, bridges...everything. And you scrub scrub scrub!
There are only two really important thing to having a crystal clear fish tank.

1) Make sure no sunlight is hitting the tank. The direct light makes the algie grow like crazy!

2) If you are using tap water to fill the tank, you have to "condition" it. I use a product called AquaSafe. It takes the chlorene and other chemicals in tap water and somehow neutralizes it. Don't ask me how, I just know it works!

I have had a 55 gallon tank for about 15 years now. I fought algie for 10 years before I finally got someone to tell me these two things. I have never been really good at taking care of the tank and I don't do my water changes like I should. But I can tell you that over the past few years, I haven't cleaned the sides of my tank more than once every 4 or 5 months and it is VERY clear.
That fungus is mostlikely algae. Test your water to make sure everything is where it should be, most likly something is out of wack. Do water changes often and if this stuff doesn't work there are commercial remidies available at almost every pet store.
mix bleeching powder
What you see is NOT algae. It is called brown algae. It is actually diatoms. These will go away in a while. This is usually a lack of light or high amount of silicates. You can remove them with algae eating fish such as otocinclus. Please avoid the Chinese Algae eater. They will eat algae when young but will turn agressive when older, despite what the fish store says.
First you try to find out what it is exactly.Whether its algae or dirt..or something else. Once you know what it is (you say fungus) factors on which its growth is dependednt- and stop those factors - if you can do that without puting fish habitat at peril.

Till you find out this - best way is to clean the tank thoroughly while changing water.

Alternatively you can try SUKER FISH..it will clean the tank on its own - VERY SLOWLY
and for your info - this fish is not very cute one - but work wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment