Sunday, August 2, 2009

How do you measure ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in a salt water aquarium?


Answers:
There are several different ways to tests these things. Don't get the test strips. I found that out the hard way and lost a couple fish because I was getting inaccurate readings.

In addition to the above responses, you can always take a water sample to your LFS. Make sure they're not busy because the tests take time and sometimes they will only do one test per visit.

Once you have a well-established aquarium (6 months) testing becomes less necessary. If there are no problems in your tank, and you are doing regular maintenance (cleaning, water changes) you may only need to test your water every other month. My aquarium is about 2 years old and I haven't tested the water since January because I know it's good. None of the inhabitants show signs of stress which is the main thing to watch for.
You can get a test kit. There are different kinds of tests, digital, liquid, and strips. The strips are the least accurette, and the digital is the most. I usually recommend liquid because it works well and you dont have to dish out a million bucks
A test kit for saltwater tanks. Preferably ones with the bottles and test tubes.
There really isn't any difference between these for fresh or salt water. The color chart is different for the two types is the only difference.
Like Chris C said, Don't use test strips$$$
There are lots of good cheeper liquid test kits at your LFS that will do 50 to 100 tests.
I am the same, I know my water is good, No signs of stress or corals that don't open or look healthy and I do water tests every 2 months, 1 day after I do a water change.
If you are not using live rock and live sand and a skimmer you may want to test a little more frequantly and do more frequant water changes.
You should have a master test kit for salt water. Also, there is nothing wrong with the test strips for salt water, however do not rely on them to be 100% accurate.

you can buy individual tests for salt water in their own box. most fish stores will carry them.

No comments:

Post a Comment