Sunday, August 2, 2009

How do you help a bloated/constipated betta fish?

I noticed a couple of days ago that my betta is bloated. its because i overfed without knowing. but now, im placing it on a diet. Its on a 48hr no food and then starting back with just 2-3 pellets a day. %26lt;--if this is wrong, tell me a correct diet.


But my question is...is there anything I can feed it that will help the fish pass its food? It hasnt done that in a few days.
Answers:
Be sure it's not dropsy first. If the scales are sticking out, then the fish is unfortunately doomed. However, I don't think you're talking about dropsy -- just a guy who's eaten a little too much and needs a little help getting it all through him, haha.

In addition to the pea treatment someone else suggested, you can add a little bit of Epsom salt to the fish's water (About one tablespoon per 10 gallons). This should help him pass along the stuff that stuck. After he appears to return to normal size (It may be more than 2-3 days... Be patient, though -- I can guarantee he won't starve to death. ^_^), slowly put him back on the food. Do 1-2 pellets a day then work your way up to the healthy serving of 5-6 pellets a day.

C.G.

EDIT: Yes, MagicMan (below) is right -- Epsom salts can be a bit harsh, so only do it if the pea treatment doesn't work. I should have specified this but didn't think to. x_x I've had good luck with the Epsom salt method, so forgot to mention that bloat can be remedied in other ways, too.
If the scales are sticking out, it isn't bloated, it's a disease called dropsy and you need to treat it fast!

For true bloating, take a pea and cut it in half and leave it in the tank. The betta will pick at it and it cures constipation. Seriously!
I don't think your betta is bloated. I used to feed my bettas almost 10 pellets a day. It sounds more like dropsy. Get some medication from the pet store.
Yep, the english pea treatment can certainly work. I would just thaw out a frozen pea and split the skin to squeeze the soft inside stuff in the the bettas tank or bowl.

Epsom salts can be a bit harsh, so I would save that as a last resort personally, but it can work very well.

MM
Mix some pepto-bismal into the tank
In addition to the peas which are honestly like a miracle for constipated fish, if you could put him in a warmer area or put a light on him to warm the water the heat will help the food to pass as well. If he doesn't seem active and normal within a few days three is a medication available at most petstores called Bettafix Remedy. It's in a small white bottle with a purple label. It works magic, no kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment